CREATE A STICKY FILTERED EVENT VIEWER
You probably already know that the Event Viewer gives you access to
several logs, enabling you to view events that have occurred on the
local computer or on a remote computer. The Event Viewer includes
a filter feature that lets you configure a log to show only specific
events. For example, you might want to exclude Information events
or only show events from a specific date range.
When you close the Event Viewer, the filter settings that you have
set in the current session are discarded. When you open the Event
Viewer again, the Event Viewer shows all events for all dates.
You can create your own Event Viewer with a sticky filter that remains
in effect even after you close the console, so that the next time
you open the console, the filter will be applied. Here's how to create
such an Event Viewer:
1. Go to Start, Run, and enter MMC in the Run dialog box.
2. When the MMC opens, choose Console | Add/Remove Snap-in.
3. Click Add | Event Viewer | Add | Finish | Close | OK.
4. Select the log for which you want to set a filter and choose View
5. Configure the filter settings, and then click OK to return to the
6. Choose Console | Save As and save the console with a new name,
such as MyEvents.msc.
7. Close the console and open it again to verify that your filters
are still in place.